It's also the time when parents think about what their children will study. We used to know the subjects assigned to the various grades, but common core subjects with common values were abandoned long ago, replaced...
One of the biggest research studies of all time (Project Follow Through) proved that Direct Instruction is the BEST way to teach young children reading & math. But of course, it didn't fit the "edublob's" paradigm & so decades later the failed attempts to "reform" education continue...now it's national standards...an amazing overreach of the federal government into local and parental control of children's education. We need school choice, no more teacher's unions & a total revamp of the schools of education.
It's the time of the year when children's smiles begin to look a little pinched. You can feel it when you walk through any school supplies store. While the colored pencils and lunchboxes on display evoke memories of "the good times," they also spark memories of all that filler work -- the spelling and grammar exercises, multiplication tables and the dates of the Revolutionary War.
- Obama administration routs scourge of ISIS pink cookies in schools Jazz Shaw 57 mins ago
- Was the Aurora theater shooting “foreseeable” by owners? Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- US ponders military intervention in Syria as well as Iraq Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Friday night document dump: Yet another “accommodation” on HHS mandate Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Teachers unions angry with Obama staff “sellouts” Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Elite northeastern college town very worried about becoming Ferguson Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago