Economists may not agree on much, but we all agree that economic output is a function of capital and labor. Ask a Keynesian, a Marxist, an Austrian, a monetarist, or any economist, and they’ll all agree that living standards are determined by the quality and quantity of these two factors of production.
So it should be very worrisome that there has been a big drop in the share of the population that is employed. Here’s a chart produced from Bureau of Labor Statistics data, showing labor force participation during the 21st Century.
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Rand Paul: Let’s get this straight — I’m not for containing Iran Allahpundit 49 minutes ago
- Biofuels producers: No really, this is the year biofuels are going to take off, for serious Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Why not Mike Pence in 2016? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Report: That recent deceleration in healthcare spending? Yeah, that’s probably over Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- New Fox ensemble show to feature Townhall’s Katie Pavlich as contributor Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Surprise: Democrat-aligned groups vastly out-raising conservative counterparts in 2014 Guy Benson 3 hours ago