Economists may not agree on much, but we all agree that economic output is a function of capital and labor. Ask a Keynesian, a Marxist, an Austrian, a monetarist, or any economist, and they’ll all agree that living standards are determined by the quality and quantity of these two factors of production.
So it should be very worrisome that there has been a big drop in the share of the population that is employed. Here’s a chart produced from Bureau of Labor Statistics data, showing labor force participation during the 21st Century.
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Priorities: Germany bans Uber, ride-sharing services Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Breaking: Obama approves sending 350 more troops back into Baghdad Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- ESPN poll: 71% support team keeping “Redskins” name — including 53% of liberals Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Brutal Ad: Mary Landrieu’s tireless representation of her true home town Guy Benson 4 hours ago
- Chris Christie thinks Putin wouldn’t test him like he does Obama, and that’s driving liberals nuts Noah Rothman 5 hours ago