Economists may not agree on much, but we all agree that economic output is a function of capital and labor. Ask a Keynesian, a Marxist, an Austrian, a monetarist, or any economist, and they’ll all agree that living standards are determined by the quality and quantity of these two factors of production.
So it should be very worrisome that there has been a big drop in the share of the population that is employed. Here’s a chart produced from Bureau of Labor Statistics data, showing labor force participation during the 21st Century.
- CPAC: Evan Sayet Ed Morrissey 13 minutes ago
- Mystery deepens: Missing Malaysian jet reportedly flew hundreds of miles in the wrong direction Allahpundit 34 minutes ago
- The Ed Morrissey Show: Andrew Malcolm, Melissa Henson Ed Morrissey 41 minutes ago
- Hawaii ponders: It might be time to start taxing insurers for not participating in our ObamaCare exchange Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Rand Paul to Ted Cruz: Stop mischaracterizing my foreign policy views Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Feds probing Maryland ObamaCare exchange Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago