In a number of states, the school laws allow for public school students to receive "released time" for one school period per day so the can walk off campus and have a religious education class, and a spiritual experience, with their high school peers. This has been approved by the Supreme Court as permissible under the First Amendment. In some states, there are three different religious education prigrams, one Catholic, one Evangelical, and the third Mormon. When Released Time is not available, the Mormons have Early Morning Seminary (that is what they call it) each day before school starts. At colleges, Mormons have off campus Institutes of religion, where students take college level religion and theology classes. These classes work!
One of my readers reached out to me a couple of years ago with the hope that I could help him communicate with his prodigal nephew. The kid had grown up in a Christian home and seemed to be doing well until he enrolled at a local community college. It was there that he decided to abandon his conservative and Christian beliefs. Even worse than that, he decided to replace them by joining a neo-pagan cult. I will not mention the group by name as I do not want to give them more attention than they deserve.
- Great news: Homeland Security can’t find 6,000 foreign nationals in US Ed Morrissey 50 mins ago
- Did US kill Al-Shabaab leader responsible for Kenya mall massacre? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- CDC Director: Ebola in Africa now an ‘epidemic,’ ‘completely out of control’ Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: UK takes steps to keep British jihadists from returning Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago