Yes, there can be a downside to ever greater government provision. Many things done in the name of compassion—even compassionate conservatism—can have undesirable side effects. In the 1970s, for example, honorable people on both sides of the political divide tried to find ways with coping with persistent poverty. Surely, those who seemed trapped in poverty were living lesser lives. Was there not something...
In response to:
Don't know, but I'm willing to give it a try. Let's see: the unknown versus sure disaster - think I'll go with the unknown.
Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) struck a nerve during his acceptance speech in Tampa, Florida last week. He put his finger on the Obama vision for America and in doing so, may have given Americans a jolt.
- Climate change so important that cable news ignored Obama’s UN speech Noah Rothman 23 mins ago
- Bill O’Reilly: Why not raise a 25,000-man global mercenary army to fight ISIS? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Semi-retired president now saluting Marines with coffee in hand Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: MNsure renewal process nonexistent Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Pentagon: ‘Years’ of war ahead in Syria and Iraq Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Carson: “Likelihood is strong” that I’ll run for President in 2016 Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago