Yes, there can be a downside to ever greater government provision. Many things done in the name of compassion—even compassionate conservatism—can have undesirable side effects. In the 1970s, for example, honorable people on both sides of the political divide tried to find ways with coping with persistent poverty. Surely, those who seemed trapped in poverty were living lesser lives. Was there not something...
In response to:
Don't know, but I'm willing to give it a try. Let's see: the unknown versus sure disaster - think I'll go with the unknown.
Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) struck a nerve during his acceptance speech in Tampa, Florida last week. He put his finger on the Obama vision for America and in doing so, may have given Americans a jolt.
- Study: Non-citizens are voting in federal elections — and probably tipped at least one Senate race to Democrats Allahpundit 12 mins ago
- HHS official to Congress: I’m totally in charge, but that doesn’t mean I can prioritize Ebola prep over puppet shows Mary Katharine Ham 52 mins ago
- All in: Democrats plan full-court press to defeat Walker Guy Benson 1 hour ago
- Oh, by the way: North Korea now knows how to build small nuclear warheads for delivery via ICBM Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: The ultimate Debbie Wasserman Schultz clip Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- DHS auditor: It’s not your imagination, we aren’t prepared for a pandemic Noah Rothman 3 hours ago