FEMA's vaunted "lean forward" strategy that called for advanced staging of supplies for emergency distribution failed to live up to its billing in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
In fact, the agency appears to have been completely unprepared to distribute bottled water to Hurricane Sandy victims when the storm hit this Monday. In contrast to its stated policy, FEMA failed to have any meaningful supplies of bottled water -- or any other supplies, for that...
I agree that each individual should take responsibility and make sure they are prepared. However, I will add that billions of tax dollars each year go to FEMA. It's not optional to pay taxes...so, if I were one of those who did everything I could to prepare, evacuated, then came back and asked for sufficient assistance (assuming I had been paying my taxes), I would expect competence and efficiency from this governmental agency. I imagine that may be a significant driver of the current frustration.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 4 hours ago