FEMA's vaunted "lean forward" strategy that called for advanced staging of supplies for emergency distribution failed to live up to its billing in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
In fact, the agency appears to have been completely unprepared to distribute bottled water to Hurricane Sandy victims when the storm hit this Monday. In contrast to its stated policy, FEMA failed to have any meaningful supplies of bottled water -- or any other supplies, for that...
I agree that each individual should take responsibility and make sure they are prepared. However, I will add that billions of tax dollars each year go to FEMA. It's not optional to pay taxes...so, if I were one of those who did everything I could to prepare, evacuated, then came back and asked for sufficient assistance (assuming I had been paying my taxes), I would expect competence and efficiency from this governmental agency. I imagine that may be a significant driver of the current frustration.
- ICE has the chance to catch Jose Antonio Vargas RIGHT NOW Jazz Shaw 33 minutes ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago