October 2012 marked a significant event for the S&P 500 - the first time since 1999 that there were more than 400 dividend paying companies in the index!
But what affects the number of companies that pay dividends?
To answer that question, we turned to Standard and Poor's Dividends and Payers report [Excel spreadsheet], which provides the data for the number of dividend paying companies in the S&P for each year since 1980. We've taken that data, combined it with some significant milestones and presented it in the chart below (which is...
- ABC: Democrats privately admit ObamaCare is “political poison” Ed Morrissey 41 minutes ago
- Would you care for some ObamaCare with your March Madness? Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- What’s so important about Israel being a “Jewish State,” anyway? jeffdunetz 2 hours ago
- Bill Gates on minimum wage hike: “I worry about what that does to job creation.” Kevin Glass 2 hours ago
- WH: Obama will totally be an asset for Democrats this year Guy Benson 3 hours ago
- Russia and others: testing the limits? Bruce McQuain 4 hours ago