October 2012 marked a significant event for the S&P 500 - the first time since 1999 that there were more than 400 dividend paying companies in the index!
But what affects the number of companies that pay dividends?
To answer that question, we turned to Standard and Poor's Dividends and Payers report [Excel spreadsheet], which provides the data for the number of dividend paying companies in the S&P for each year since 1980. We've taken that data, combined it with some significant milestones and presented it in the chart below (which is...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- U.S. to announce ground troops to Poland, says… Polish defense minister Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Rand Paul to Harry Reid: Simmer down with the “domestic terrorist” rhetoric about Bundy’s supporters Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Snowden: I asked Putin that softball question on surveillance to start a public debate in Russia Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- The Obama admin is delaying the Keystone XL review process through the election. Yes, again. Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- Rubio on immigration: I think Republicans have reached a point of “irreconcilable differences” with Obama Allahpundit 6 hours ago