October 2012 marked a significant event for the S&P 500 - the first time since 1999 that there were more than 400 dividend paying companies in the index!
But what affects the number of companies that pay dividends?
To answer that question, we turned to Standard and Poor's Dividends and Payers report [Excel spreadsheet], which provides the data for the number of dividend paying companies in the S&P for each year since 1980. We've taken that data, combined it with some significant milestones and presented it in the chart below (which is...
- Rumor du jour: House GOP working on “punishment” for votes against Boehner as Speaker Jazz Shaw 20 mins ago
- Ukraine, rebels agree on buffer zone, withdrawal of foreign troops and “mercenaries” Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Could Louisiana elect an 87 year old Democrat felon to Congress? Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- ESPN: Ravens’ “misdirection” kept curiously passive NFL in the dark on video Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Demands grow to end secrecy – and robbery – at Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Whistleblower cop in Scott Walker accusations paying a heavy price Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago