October 2012 marked a significant event for the S&P 500 - the first time since 1999 that there were more than 400 dividend paying companies in the index!
But what affects the number of companies that pay dividends?
To answer that question, we turned to Standard and Poor's Dividends and Payers report [Excel spreadsheet], which provides the data for the number of dividend paying companies in the S&P for each year since 1980. We've taken that data, combined it with some significant milestones and presented it in the chart below (which is...
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Jeanne Shaheen’s victory lap on chemical weapons in Syria exposes ignorance Noah Rothman 16 mins ago
- Autopsy shows Michael Brown shot twice at close range Ed Morrissey 47 mins ago
- Christie “tired of hearing about the minimum wage.” Mistake? Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Dems: We’re keeping Pelosi even if we lose Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Shaheen approves of Obama except when she doesn’t Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago