October 2012 marked a significant event for the S&P 500 - the first time since 1999 that there were more than 400 dividend paying companies in the index!
But what affects the number of companies that pay dividends?
To answer that question, we turned to Standard and Poor's Dividends and Payers report [Excel spreadsheet], which provides the data for the number of dividend paying companies in the S&P for each year since 1980. We've taken that data, combined it with some significant milestones and presented it in the chart below (which is...
- Everything has changed after the execution of James Foley by ISIS Noah Rothman 41 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- There will be nothing from the president tonight on the beheading of an American journalist Update: Statement tomorrow Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Spot the problems with these headlines: NYT edition Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Video: The day John McCain did the robot Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Poll: 82% think it should be illegal to let your nine-year-old play at the park unsupervised Allahpundit 13 hours ago