When 1950s comedian Lenny Bruce titillated his audiences with the F-word and crude sex talk, liberals came to his defense. They reminded us that vulgar speech is not a crime: The First Amendment was not just designed to protect uplifting expression, but also rarer blasphemous and indecent...
How do I get in on that act? I can write like a Democrat: BUSH! TEA BAGGERS! CORPORATIONS! FAIR SHARE! It's not like it takes a whole lot of brains or anything. Now were is my check?
The American Left used to champion free expression. We were lectured -- correctly -- that the price of being repulsed by occasional crude talk and art was worth paying. Only that way could Americans ensure our daily right to criticize those with greater power and influence whom we found wrong and objectionable.
- In effort to shield Obama from criticism on ISIS, White House makes everything worse Noah Rothman 36 mins ago
- Video: Mitt Romney takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- A Christian conundrum in conservative rhetoric? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Sanitizing terror: Has the press distorted Islamic radical’s crusade against gay men? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Family friend tells WaPo: Yes, Darren Wilson did suffer an eye socket fracture Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Let’s play ‘What if a GOP’er Said It’ with Harry Reid’s racially insensitive jokes Noah Rothman 3 hours ago