When 1950s comedian Lenny Bruce titillated his audiences with the F-word and crude sex talk, liberals came to his defense. They reminded us that vulgar speech is not a crime: The First Amendment was not just designed to protect uplifting expression, but also rarer blasphemous and indecent...
How do I get in on that act? I can write like a Democrat: BUSH! TEA BAGGERS! CORPORATIONS! FAIR SHARE! It's not like it takes a whole lot of brains or anything. Now were is my check?
The American Left used to champion free expression. We were lectured -- correctly -- that the price of being repulsed by occasional crude talk and art was worth paying. Only that way could Americans ensure our daily right to criticize those with greater power and influence whom we found wrong and objectionable.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Rubio: Only one nation can stand up to the wave of totalitarianism Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- HHS: Why, no, we are not measuring the very metric ObamaCare was passed to improve Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Video: Meet your 2014 CPAC blogger of the year Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Carney: Why no, Obama does not regret being dismissive of Mitt Romney on Russia Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago
- Brutal: Just one in 10 uninsured who qualify for ObamaCare exchange plans has signed up Allahpundit 8 hours ago