HUH?? That's in the preamble, there is no grant of power to "promote" the general welfare. Further, the General Welfare clause was/is a limiting clause on the taxing power, and it is for the States, meaning that no particular state was to be privileged above another. Even further, the general welfare is defined by the specific enumerated clauses. Not that it matters, as the US constitution was thrown out a long time ago.
Within the past decade, I've written columns titled "Deception 101," "Stubborn Ignorance" and "Exploiting Public Ignorance," all explaining which branch of the federal government has taxing and spending authority. So here it is again: The first clause of Article 1, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution, generally known as the "origination clause," reads: "All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills." Constitutionally and by precedent, the House of Representatives has the exclusive prerogative to originate bills to appropriate money, as well as to raise...
- The government doesn’t know how many empty buildings it owns — just that they’re costing us billions Erika Johnsen 21 minutes ago
- WSJ/NBC poll: Americans now think sugar is a bigger health threat than marijuana Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Former Republican governor of California invites you to crush things in his tank Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Markey: Natural gas exports, grow the economy? Pish tosh! Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- CNN source: Yes, the Malaysian jet sent engine data hours after it disappeared; AP source: No, it didn’t Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: Ron Paul defends Crimea’s referendum on annexation by Russia Allahpundit 3 hours ago