Consider the disconnects: California's combined income and sales taxes are among the nation's highest, but the state's deficit is still about $16 billion. It's estimated that more than 2,000 upper-income Californians are leaving per week to flee high taxes and costly regulations, yet California wants to raise taxes even higher; its business climate already ranks near the bottom of most surveys. Its teachers are among the highest paid on average in the nation, but its public school students consistently test near the bottom...
Professor Hanson, Knowing your heritage, I would love to say that things will get better; but CA "political demographics" have created an environment that will only perpetuate the same failed policies. Until the 7-8 million illegals with their 3m "US" dependants are properly addressed; there will be no hope. But you wrote a book on this so I defer!
Driving across California is like going from Mississippi to Massachusetts without ever crossing a state line.
- Newest target of Latino media on immigration reform: Barack Obama? Allahpundit 23 minutes ago
- Pew poll: 61% of Republicans under age 30 support legalizing gay marriage Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Breaking: National lightbringer turns out not to be so centrist after all Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- CPAC: Evan Sayet Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Mystery deepens: Missing Malaysian jet reportedly flew hundreds of miles in the wrong direction Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- The Ed Morrissey Show: Andrew Malcolm, Melissa Henson Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago