When the spark strikes a powder keg of ethnic, sectarian and nationalist conflict, the tragic answer is yes. This week marks the 100th anniversary of the start of the First Balkan War (October 1912 to May 1913). It was the second in a series of three wars that led to the great and not quite...
This article briefly chronicles a small chapter of the history of this region of Eastern Europe shedding light on the origin of the work "Balkanization;" a term that the United States must never allow to be applicable in this country!
Montenegro's Oct. 8, 1912, declaration of war on the Ottoman Turkish Empire and its Oct. 9 attack on neighboring Albania, an Ottoman protectorate, stunned Europe. Montenegro, a military midget, attacking Albania, another poor and backwater Balkan nowhere? Can a tiny statelet like Montenegro spark great havoc?
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 58 mins ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Liberal magazine cautions journalists WH playing them with shutdown fears, is ignored Noah Rothman 4 hours ago