When the spark strikes a powder keg of ethnic, sectarian and nationalist conflict, the tragic answer is yes. This week marks the 100th anniversary of the start of the First Balkan War (October 1912 to May 1913). It was the second in a series of three wars that led to the great and not quite...
This article briefly chronicles a small chapter of the history of this region of Eastern Europe shedding light on the origin of the work "Balkanization;" a term that the United States must never allow to be applicable in this country!
Montenegro's Oct. 8, 1912, declaration of war on the Ottoman Turkish Empire and its Oct. 9 attack on neighboring Albania, an Ottoman protectorate, stunned Europe. Montenegro, a military midget, attacking Albania, another poor and backwater Balkan nowhere? Can a tiny statelet like Montenegro spark great havoc?
- Jobs plan from WI gubernatorial candidate looks mighty … familiar Ed Morrissey 20 mins ago
- Exonerated, Chris Christie taunts the press by embracing Roger Goodell Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Scotland votes No to independence Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago