What ought to amaze us is how many times Western and especially U.S. diplomats have gone to the Arab-Muslim well, believing they will find something different at the bottom. Egypt, Hamas and even Iran string us along like a cad with a bevy of women in his orbit...
Cal serves up a nice bit of fog an' hasbara that conveniently forgets Israel's early role in increasing the prestige of Hamas, once a minor faction. Why? As a foil to marginalize Mr. Arafat's largely secular/nationalist PLO. In fact, Thomas forgets the West's complicity in radicalizing Muslims, from London's encouragement of Wahhabism in their war against the Ottoman Turks to .. Washington's radicalization of Pashtun tribesmen in their scheme to bring down the Soviet empire (the "Brzezinski doctrine"?).
The diplomatic hosannas for Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi following his brokering of the recent ceasefire between Hamas and Israel were still being heard even as the former head of the Muslim Brotherhood started behaving like a pharaoh. Morsi "temporarily" seized new powers that, among other things, forbid judicial review of his policies.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Citizen legislator Sen. Mary Landrieu doesn’t really live in Louisiana Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Democrats go after Republican for self-defense measure he took…14 years ago Matt Vespa 3 hours ago
- Rubio: If I had to vote again on my Gang of Eight immigration bill, I’d vote no Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Obama lets another red line lapse in Ukraine, and the consequences will be dire Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- Heartache for lefties: Elizabeth Warren defends Israel at Massachusetts town hall Allahpundit 5 hours ago