What ought to amaze us is how many times Western and especially U.S. diplomats have gone to the Arab-Muslim well, believing they will find something different at the bottom. Egypt, Hamas and even Iran string us along like a cad with a bevy of women in his orbit...
Cal serves up a nice bit of fog an' hasbara that conveniently forgets Israel's early role in increasing the prestige of Hamas, once a minor faction. Why? As a foil to marginalize Mr. Arafat's largely secular/nationalist PLO. In fact, Thomas forgets the West's complicity in radicalizing Muslims, from London's encouragement of Wahhabism in their war against the Ottoman Turks to .. Washington's radicalization of Pashtun tribesmen in their scheme to bring down the Soviet empire (the "Brzezinski doctrine"?).
The diplomatic hosannas for Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi following his brokering of the recent ceasefire between Hamas and Israel were still being heard even as the former head of the Muslim Brotherhood started behaving like a pharaoh. Morsi "temporarily" seized new powers that, among other things, forbid judicial review of his policies.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago