Most of us today think of Harlem as a black community, but it was not that for most of its 400-year history. John James Audubon, famed for his studies of birds, was...
Thank you for an interesting insight into Harlem history over the years.
Books about the history of Harlem have long fascinated me -- my favorite being "When Harlem Was in Vogue" by David Levering Lewis. However, a more recent book, titled simply "Harlem" by Jonathan Gill, presents a more comprehensive history -- going all the way back to the time when the Dutch were the first settlers of New York, and named that area for the city of Haarlem in the Netherlands.
- Australian raids net more than a dozen terror suspects before planned wave of attacks Ed Morrissey 42 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Sigh: Busch Gardens removes disembodied heads from Halloween display Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Holder running out the clock on Fast & Furious? Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Surge: Walker regains the lead in Wisconsin Guy Benson 12 hours ago
- Gallup: Americans trust in the media matches historic low Noah Rothman 12 hours ago