In stomping out brutal honesty and critical thought in favor of politeness and the fear of offending,...
In response to:
CONTINUED:A Martian visiting earth would not be able to see democracy. It is intangible, a rulebook we have agreed to which says that no-one shall be denied opportunity, freedom of speech, or the due process of the laws. The Constitution does not say that "all men are equal"; it says we are all "created equal". This is the same thing I just said: we each have our shot. Some will come at it with more on the ball than others. If society is not hanging around our neck like an anvil and we are honest with ourselves, we will be content. "In the long run," said Thoreau, "men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high."But the substantive corrupts the procedural, when the love
A colleague mentioned earlier this week how thankful he is that he can tell anyone who deserves it to go take a flying leap. (Actually, his precise words are unprintable, but you get the idea.) At first glance, such uninhibited opinion-sharing might seem rude and unacceptable, but upon further reflection, it becomes clear how individuals rising up and courageously telling off the creeps who deserve it would benefit society as a whole, and how capitalism in particular is the perfect vehicle for this.
- Ruth Bader Ginsberg to liberals: You really think Obama can replace me? Noah Rothman 21 mins ago
- Building blocks of the GOP Senate majority coming together Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Jim Webb: I’m seriously thinking of running for president as a Democrat Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Climate change so important that cable news ignored Obama’s UN speech Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Bill O’Reilly: Why not raise a 25,000-man global mercenary army to fight ISIS? Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: Semi-retired president now saluting Marines with coffee in hand Allahpundit 3 hours ago