In stomping out brutal honesty and critical thought in favor of politeness and the fear of offending,...
In response to:
Democracy and Capitalism Democracy is the process by which we get ourselves organized to perform capitalism. One imagines that in early times, human activity soon divided itself into two parts, again involving the substantive and the procedural: what we wish to do with our bodies each day and how we will collectively organize ourselves to do it. Capitalism is today's version of the what and democracy is the how. ‘The what’ and’ the how’ collaborate to an extent, then battle each other. Democracy and capitalism are like a lion and a bull pulling a sled together. The bond holding the substantive in balance to the procedural is always a fragile one. In our system of laws, this balance creates justice. Our most thoughtful judges know what the
A colleague mentioned earlier this week how thankful he is that he can tell anyone who deserves it to go take a flying leap. (Actually, his precise words are unprintable, but you get the idea.) At first glance, such uninhibited opinion-sharing might seem rude and unacceptable, but upon further reflection, it becomes clear how individuals rising up and courageously telling off the creeps who deserve it would benefit society as a whole, and how capitalism in particular is the perfect vehicle for this.
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Daniele Watts won’t apologize, but how about the media? Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 20:1–16 Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Unhappy anniversary: six years of Keystone obstruction Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 7 hours ago