A few days after the election of 2012 the very talented Michael Ramirez published a political cartoon that perhaps conveyed a more profound meaning than he anticipated. He depicted a pair of hands extending from star-studded sleeves (presumably from a mendicant Uncle Sam), which were held in supplication, as though waiting for a handout or petitioning voters to relinquish more of their earnings to the federal government. There’s another way of interpreting this image, however; the hands appeared not only pathetic and a bit contemptible, but also aged and withered, as though belonging to an old man. In which case,...
I notice you quote Madison in #10. Explain to us why Madison went on to found the political party? And why he and Jefferson took the so-called "flora and fauna" trip to New York so that they could enlist the aid of Aaron Burr and form the ultimate faction, a political party. And why he and Jefferson detested, among others, bankers and brokers (Jefferson called them stock-jobbers). My point is simple ... if you quote Madison, put it in context. Madison, to be admired for sure, was an ultimate political operator. To ignore those skills does him a disservice and distorts history. Therein lies the origin of mass political organization.
- Reason Magazine actually asked climate protesters what they want to do, and it’s hilarious Noah Rothman 33 mins ago
- Lerner speaks! (To Politico) Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Panetta: Obama’s bad decisions on Syria and Iraq led to rise of ISIS Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Disaster: 130,000 refugees flee ISIS, cross into Turkey Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago