Redskins: No Harm, No Foul, Mr. Costas

pkarandi Wrote: Oct 16, 2013 4:01 PM
But they call themselves "Mormons." Do Native Americans call themselves "Redskins?" No. (Not that I know of at least).

Redskins: No Harm, No Foul, Mr. Costas

pkarandi Wrote: Oct 16, 2013 3:57 PM
There are plenty of Native Americans that do claim it is a pejorative. What I think doesn't really matter, but what a large part of the Native American population thinks does. I don't understand your point about how people calling themselves "saints" could be considered pejorative, so I'm not sure how to respond to that. Oh, also, I'm not a democrat. If I had to classify myself, I would say libertarian.

Redskins: No Harm, No Foul, Mr. Costas

pkarandi Wrote: Oct 16, 2013 3:28 PM
Well said. As a conservative, I am really disappointed that the "standard" conservative position is that the Redskins name is ok. A lot of the arguments Goldberg makes aren't logically sound. For example, the reference to the NAACP. African Americans started that organization! If they themselves find it offensive, they themselves can change it! This would only be logically equivalent if the Redskins team was started and named by Native Americans. His other point about everyone changing something if just "one person" finds it offensive is also off-base. First of all, many Native Americans find it offensive. I have read that surveys show that a majority of them don't, but the validity of who qualifies as a Native American can be hard to ensure. My mentality is that it is just a team name. Also, I think the bottom line is that if I was a Native American, I think I would find it offensive if someone referred to me as a "Redskin."

Redskins: No Harm, No Foul, Mr. Costas

pkarandi Wrote: Oct 16, 2013 3:26 PM
Well said paranoid...

Redskins: No Harm, No Foul, Mr. Costas

pkarandi Wrote: Oct 16, 2013 3:25 PM
Sorry, but your points are invalid. No one claims that the terms "Saints," "Ravens," or "Indians" are pejorative.

Unasked and Unanswered Questions

pkarandi Wrote: Jun 19, 2013 11:52 AM
Excellent, EXCELLENT reply dwinings!

The Atheist Response to Sandy Hook

pkarandi Wrote: Jan 15, 2013 2:41 PM
EXCELLENT response. As an atheist AND a conservative, I couldn't agree with your write-up more. Full disclosure: I do regularly read this blog.

The GOP -- Not a Club For Christians

pkarandi Wrote: Dec 12, 2012 2:46 PM
Well put! And as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with that!

The GOP -- Not a Club For Christians

pkarandi Wrote: Dec 12, 2012 2:43 PM
EXCELLENT article Jonah. I am of Indian descent (born and raised in the USA) and I really appreciate your points here. I am a strong conservative because I really care about issues like taxation and entitlement spending, but I must say, when the typical conservatives go on about religion, it really turns me off. I guess I am more of a libertarian in that respect. I don't care at all what religion people subscribe to - it's none of my business, and I would like to see it removed from the political process altogether. Unfortunately, though, many of my counterparts (be they Indian or white American), don't care enough about the real issues, and when they hear all that religious talk, they run straight to the Democrats.
Excellent points Nixie. I am an atheist who actually really enjoys Christmas. I put up a tree in my house and I just like the spirit of the whole holiday. I never really cared enough about local gov buildings putting up Christmas trees to make any kind of stink about it. Actually, the trees look nice. Heck, even the nativity scenes look nice, even though they have no religious significance to me. That said, I think O'Reilly came off like a petulant buffoon. Did he really claim that Christianity was not a religion?!?!?
Are there any Ramadan trees on your local courthouse lawn?