In response to:

Surging Support for Joseph Stalin in Post-Soviet Russia is Troubling

pinenee Wrote: Mar 08, 2013 10:50 AM
On April 9, 1865 The enslavement of the African race ended in the United States of America. The only historical record about the American civil war is in the movie "Gone With the Wind" The Russian citizens were enslaved until 1917. The Russian citizens began to demand the Czar go in 1800. The Russian civil war lasted 117 years. From 1896 to 1917 the democrats did not fight and die to unseat the czar. It was the young men such as Stalin who had the guts to fight the Status quo. In The United States since 1608, when the society, politics, or economy failed, our nation made a change. NOBODY has GOT ON A BOAT AND RAN AWAY.
Earl29 Wrote: Mar 08, 2013 10:25 PM
Well, there are the books "The Long Roll" and "Cease Firing" by Mary Johnston, but they were never made into movies, so I guess they don't count.
BTW, the term "Civil War" was the invention of the Yankee conquerors. The war was actually the invasion and conquest of the Confederate States of America by the United States of America. Just to set the record straight.
pinenee Wrote: Mar 08, 2013 10:59 AM
Everybody is still here, Americans, starting 1608:
The Spanish.
The French.
The Tories.
The original Americans.
The Mexicans.
The Confederates.
and 2013,
The communist.
Jeff2422 Wrote: Mar 08, 2013 12:44 PM
I am confused by your statements that Russian citizens were enslaved until 1917 and the Russian Civil War lasted 117 years.
Russia had a fuedal system way past when it became out-dated in the rest of Europe. Serfdom is very much like slavery. In 1863, serfdom was out-lawed over a 40 year time period. There was a revolt in 1905 after the Russian fleet was sunk by the Japanese that lead to Nicholas II declaring a Duma (advisory council) with some legislative powers. The Bolshevik revolution was in late 1917 and a civil war ensued. This lasted for about 5 years, with the Bolsheviks consolidating power by late 1922. Lenin died in 1924 and Stalin consolidated his power by 1929 and started collectivisation. Where is this 117 years of civil war?
Jeff2422 Wrote: Mar 08, 2013 12:47 PM
Also, all collectivisation did was kill of the few entrepenuers in Russia with the former peasants/serfs being essentially state slaves. The Soviet Union did not reach agriculture production levels of pre-WWI until 1968. When they privatized 10% of Soviet agriculure, it took less than 10 years for privitized land to nearly equal the other 90% in productivity. One could argue, slavery did not end in Russia/Soviet Union until the Soviets were dissolved.

This week marked the 60th anniversary of Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin’s death. On March 5, 1953, the Georgia-born tyrant’s nearly three-decade long reign of terror came to an end -- providing momentary solace for all people living behind the Iron Curtain. “Uncle Joe” was no more.

Millions of people in then-Soviet Russia, the Baltic States, and nearby Soviet satellites were killed, tortured, and oppressed under Stalin’s regime.

Members of my family witnessed the wrath of his inhumane policies firsthand. My late maternal grandfather -- a faithful, quiet man -- was imprisoned for 18 months in one of his gulags...