There's nothing intellectually challenging or unusual about poverty. For most of mankind's existence, his most optimistic scenario was to be able to eke out enough to subsist...
I believe John Wayne is credited with this: "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid."
Here's a recent statement frequently suggested by leftist academics, think tank researchers and policymakers: "People were not just struggling because of their personal deficiencies. There were structural factors at play. People weren't poor because they made bad decisions. They were poor because our society creates poverty." Who made that statement and where it was made is not important at all, but its corrosive effects on the minds of black people, particularly black youths, are devastating.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Kochs’ next dastardly deed: Creating good public defenders for low-income accused Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Reading the early voting tea leaves: Republicans closing the gap Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- White House to red-state Democrats: Don’t blame Precious if you lose Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- ISIS mortar shells now landing in Baghdad’s Green Zone Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- SCOTUS to consider police searches of hotel registries Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago