1 - 9

The New York Times: America Sucks

phil4132 Wrote: Oct 21, 2013 1:28 PM
Just out of curiousity are there any radio talk show host which meet your standards? It'd be nice to have a reference point.

The New York Times: America Sucks

phil4132 Wrote: Oct 20, 2013 4:08 PM
I'm surprised about the Jesse Jackson mockery but I have no reason to doubt you. If he's that disgusting why do you listen? Seriously.

The New York Times: America Sucks

phil4132 Wrote: Oct 18, 2013 11:00 AM
@OK - I wouldn't characterize Prager that way. I may try to call into his show and ask him about it. FYI - Prager is actually a very mature individual who never resorts to name-calling (unlike many on the left). If you notice he never even named the columnist and certainly never call her a name. FWIW - I'd prefer someone to say I suck (which I agree the columnist didn't say) than to say that my actions were on par with genocide (something the columnist perhaps inadvertently implied). Having said that, I give her credit for good intentions. Perhaps she felt the need to include the US in her condemnations to be more multi-cultural. I think she could have chosen better examples.

The New York Times: America Sucks

phil4132 Wrote: Oct 17, 2013 8:24 PM
Your comment was not helpful. I agree that the main point of the column was to show how dehumanizing the enemy breaks down our natural aversion to killing, but I think the columnist discredits herself when she conflates genocide with far lesser war-time acts. Imagine if the columnist had instead used the example of Americans dehumanizing the unborn as "globs of tissue" or "a choice". Though I think that would have been a more apt comparison.

Madison Avenue's Moral Madness

phil4132 Wrote: Dec 02, 2012 12:55 PM
Good point. Archie Bunker was a very effective straw-man. In part I would agree that the right romanticizes the past too much. But if they're guilty of romanticizing the past, the left is guilty of romanticizing "progress". For example, no one denies that pre-marital sex has always been around. However, in past generations, an out-of-wedlock pregnancy was stigmatized. Now it's almost applauded. Back then you had two choices - get married to the father or give up the child for adoption. I think that was better for the child. Now women opt for abortion or making the government the breadwinner.

Madison Avenue's Moral Madness

phil4132 Wrote: Nov 30, 2012 8:07 PM
The question that begs to be asked is "where are the parents/guardians" of Jones? Child actors are exploited and usually don't turn out too well as adults though Kirk Cameron is a notable exception. As for those who trivialize the filth on television, I have to believe that the advertisers don't spend billions on ads without some expectation that they influence the public. And if ads influence the public why wouldn't the shows themselves? I don't know whether the entertainment industry leads the culture or reflects the culture. It may be a combination of both. But clearly there are cultural indicators that point to trouble. I think Bozell makes some good points.
It would be very interesting to compare states with death penalties vs states without them and see if those with capital punishment have higher rates of confessions. For example, does a state like Massachusetts, which doesn't have capital punishment, have a tougher time getting a murder to divulge the location of the body than Texas? There should be some way to do a comparison.

Obama's Dreams

phil4132 Wrote: Sep 04, 2012 11:56 AM
When I think of people voting to re-elect Obama I'm reminded of the saying "Fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - shame on me!"

Hey, Boston: Leave Chick-fil-A Alone

phil4132 Wrote: Jul 25, 2012 5:28 PM
Chic-Fil-A is great! Their workers are very friendly and their food is quite healthy. I also admire them for closing on Sundays. Notice to Mayor Menino: I will be eating more than ever at Chil-Fil-A and urging my friends and family to do the same. Thanks for giving Chic-Fil-A more publicity. I love Boston, but sometimes their politicians take the cake.
1 - 9