In the wake of past mass shootings, when the "national conversation" has focused exclusively on guns, I have argued that our appallingly inadequate mental health system was a better subject of reform. At least half of the shooters in the rampage killings that are ripping our hearts out are young men with serious mental illnesses, and our system has neither the legal nor the financial resources to get them the treatment and/or restraint that they, and we, desperately need.This time, mental health reform has received passing mention, along with the usual pleas for gun control, better security at schools,...
Deranged lunatics look for the helpless, unaware, and unarmed to attack. It is significant that in almost all of the recent attacks, the villain either kills himself or gives up peacefully once armed lawmen show up. In too many cases the killers should have been in a mental hospital. But in weird logic, instead of changing the law to make it easier to put these people in mental hospitals, we want to change the law to create more unarmed and helpless victims. Finally in a popular video game players get points for going in and shooting up a school. If looking at picture of kids is illegal as child porn, then this should be too as it is worse.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago