A slow reader's lament

Perapiteticus Wrote: Jul 19, 2012 4:39 PM
Comrade. Peace be with you.

A slow reader's lament

Perapiteticus Wrote: Jul 19, 2012 1:21 PM
Wrong. Most people still read "regular" books; I have a Nook and rarely use it. Give me the smell and feel of a book, not a digitized caricature of a book. Of course, I know it is a matter of personal taste, but where will the digitized world be 100 years from now? Shards, coinage, and manuscripts still continue to be found centuries after their demise. I dare say we won't be able to say that about Kindles.

Too Much College

Perapiteticus Wrote: Jun 27, 2012 4:51 PM
Thank you. That's how it works. Unfortunately, many parents and students feel just showing up is worth a B.

Too Much College

Perapiteticus Wrote: Jun 27, 2012 4:49 PM
What is your point here? That an AP teacher who applies the rigorous demands of a college-level class (which, in fact, it is) represents nothing more than "bad luck" for a student? It is COMMON for the best and brightest to come to an AP English Lit or AP English Language & Composition class, only to discover that all the pampering and easy grade-making they enjoyed in their other classes did not cut it in an AP Class. Those students "thanking God for a C" are better prepared for college from having taken that class, with that teacher, than the cumulative credits their acquired much more easily over their four years in high school.

The Assault on Food

Perapiteticus Wrote: Apr 25, 2012 11:38 AM
Indeed, Mr. Stossel. The irony is that for all the fascist labels thrown at the right, garbage "force" like this is the quintessence of fascist . Case in point: FDR's "leviathan" leap of government intrusion in the New Deal was as fascist as it gets - as Jonah Goldberg's Liberal Fascism well documents.

Those Cheapened Pulitzer 'Prizes'

Perapiteticus Wrote: Apr 25, 2012 11:34 AM
Let me check your pulse. Miller is not only eminently funny and entertaining, he is brilliant - something one cannot say about Maher. Maher is stagnant tripe, worn out mantra screeder, a pretender-comedian. And a hater, to boot.
I teach in a non-union environment; I care about our nation's strength, which is why I am a teacher; and I am tired of blanket opinion pieces like this one that implicitly lump all teachers as n'er do wells because of fat union salaries and benefits. I have been teaching for 7 years as a second career - and I will make NEXT YEAR a whopping $31, 421.00. Olsen needs to chew on that for a while and then come back with a much needed rewrite.

Islamic Indoctrination in Textbooks

Perapiteticus Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 4:15 PM
Were it not for the response of the Crusades, Islam by sword and swindle would have conquered Western Europe. Mohammed said: "Convert the heathen. If he will not convert, kill him." 'Nuff said.

For the Love of Marx

Perapiteticus Wrote: Apr 03, 2012 4:03 PM
If not (in your little vacuous bubble world), then who?