What if the government regards the Constitution as merely a guideline to be referred to from time to time, or a myth to be foisted upon the voters,...
Hmmm ... WHAT IF every -- EVERY -- citizen of the U.S. decided to boycott the IRS and not pay Federal Income Tax. Would the federal government then arrest every U.S. citizen? I'm sure they'd start by confiscating property, but then what do they do with that? Of course I admit I'd never have the cojones to not pay the IRS, but ... WHAT IF? Just food for thought, as are the questions in this column. (And by the way, if you read each question one at a time, the answer to all seems to be "they're already doing it." Disheartening, to say the least ...
What if the government never took the Constitution seriously? What if the same generation -- in some cases the same human beings -- that wrote in the First Amendment, "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech," also enacted the Alien and Sedition Acts, which made it a crime to criticize the government? What if the feds don't regard the Constitution as the Supreme Law of the Land?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago