The 1996 Welfare Reform Act, which had bipartisan support, is hailed as one of Clinton’s greatest legislative achievements. Clinton believed that the welfare system in place prior to the reform “undermines the basic values of work, responsibility and family -- trapping generation after generation in dependency, and hurting...
In La. we call many of these welfare checks 'crazy checks.' If you can convince the welfare office you're a few cards short of a full deck, you can ride this from teen years onward. Work? That won't fly. Too strenuous, and it interferes with a busy social life. Anyway, it's too hot here for that.
- WaPo editorial: Why is the world ignoring Hamas’ depravity? Ed Morrissey 18 minutes ago
- Uncommon courage: Jeb Bush finally weighs in on the border crisis Noah Rothman 58 minutes ago
- FAA, EASA reauthorize operations at Tel Aviv for Western airlines Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Meriam Ibrahim lands in Italy, on way to US; Update: Meets with Pope Francis Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Former loathsome nanny-state mayor confuses blogger with second awesome move this summer Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago