Those who talk glibly about redistribution often act as if people are just inert objects that can be placed here and there, like pieces on a chess board, to carry out some grand design. But if human beings have their own responses to government policies,...
Steven and Fletch...you two couldn't be more wrong re King and the role of unions. While there have been challenges with unions, they're a reflection most often of what's out of sync in the management of the workplace. It was the 'prejudice' of the times that slowed progress for black laborers but there were inroads gained after the 60's that provided a more balanced work environment (http://depts.washington.edu/dock/ship_scalers.shtml). So, no, the path for black workers was slowed but in time prevailed. King as most others understand that socialism is not to be confused with a socialist country. Rather socialism is understood in the context that we provide care for those in need, not a system to control what we earn and how we live...
The recently discovered tape on which Barack Obama said back in 1998 that he believes in redistribution is not really news. He said the same thing to Joe the Plumber four years ago. But the surfacing of this tape may serve a useful purpose if it gets people to thinking about what the consequences of redistribution are.
- Everything is changing after Ferguson, and it should Jazz Shaw 32 mins ago
- The Marysville school shooting was politicized in about, oh… three minutes Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Hillarynomics: Businesses don’t create jobs Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Christie, Cuomo enact stricter travel restrictions as new patient showed symptoms in NJ, tests negative Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Study: Non-citizens are voting in federal elections — and probably tipped at least one Senate race to Democrats Allahpundit 16 hours ago
- HHS official to Congress: I’m totally in charge, but that doesn’t mean I can prioritize Ebola prep over puppet shows Mary Katharine Ham 16 hours ago