Five numbers every American needs to know… Total amount of currently outstanding student loan debt guaranteed by the Federal government: Over $1 trillion Total annual budget of the United States Department of Education: About $100 billion Total amount of capital investment necessary to create an online university-level course starting from scratch: About $200,000 Total number of university level courses (by subject) including all graduate programs: About 5,000 Total one-time investment necessary to put all university level courses online and available for free to every U.S. citizen in an accredited, degree-earning format: $1 billion
American education is in a sorry state of affairs, and there's enough blame for all participants to have their fair share. They include students who are hostile and alien to the education process, uninterested parents, teachers and administrators who either are incompetent or have been beaten down by the system, and politicians who've become handmaidens for teachers unions. There's another education issue that's neither flattering nor comfortable to confront and talk about. That's the low academic preparation of many teachers. That's an issue that must be confronted and dealt with if we're to improve the quality of education. Let's look at...
- Welfare reform is officially on life support in NYC Jazz Shaw 23 minutes ago
- Why won’t the White House explain how off-budget ObamaCare money got spent? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Are bans on high capacity magazines constitutional? Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- EPA exonerates Christie administration in obscure bridge-related offense someone made up Mary Katharine Ham 15 hours ago
- California energy companies are getting the heck outta’ dodge and moving to Texas Erika Johnsen 16 hours ago