Within the past decade, I've written columns titled "Deception 101," "Stubborn Ignorance" and "Exploiting Public Ignorance," all explaining which branch of the federal government has taxing and spending authority. So here it is again: The first clause of Article 1, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution, generally known as the "origination clause," reads: "All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills." Constitutionally and by precedent, the House of Representatives has the exclusive prerogative to originate bills to appropriate money, as well as to raise...
- Christie jacking up tax on e-cigarettes Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Interview with Al Baldasaro Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- How many people have died from GM ignition-switch defect? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Scott Brown “officially” thinking about running for Senate in New Hampshire Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Malaysia: Flight 370 signals continued for more than seven hours Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Bobby Jindal hits the trail in New Hampshire Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago