Since Barack Obama's re-election, hundreds...
The Constitution was not designed as a way for the central government to lord it over the sovereign states. Just the opposite: the Constitution was a voluntary compact among the states, which they are free to remain in, or to withdraw with fair notice (much as one can withdraw from an open-ended contract with fair and adequate notice). Secession is simply the act of giving notice that one is choosing to dissolve an open-ended contract. Any contract which you are NEVER free to withdraw from, is slavery.
For decades, it has been obvious that there are irreconcilable differences between Americans who want to control the lives of others and those who wish to be left alone. Which is the more peaceful solution: Americans using the brute force of government to beat liberty-minded people into submission or simply parting company? In a marriage, where vows are ignored and broken, divorce is the most peaceful solution. Similarly, our constitutional and human rights have been increasingly violated by a government instituted to protect them. Americans who support constitutional abrogation have no intention of mending their ways.
- Video: Inside the leak of the Tsarnaev capture photos Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- New Hillary memoir to be titled “Hard Choices”? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Protip from Reid: Bundy supporters are “domestic terrorists,” y’know Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Video: Ukraine deal not exactly embraced by either side Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Media Matters not super-keen on SEIU unionizing its employees Mary Katharine Ham 14 hours ago