This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Doris Kearns-Goodwin, an admitted plagiarist, was Spielberg's leftist adviser on this movie. She has written that no researcher ever, ever found a racist pronouncement in any of Lincoln's speeches. Never mind that he openly supported a movement to ship all blacks back to Africa or--if that proved impractical--to islands in the Caribbean. Never mind that he openly called for the white race to always hold the "superior position." Never mind that he advocated against allowing blacks to hold political office, or to serve as jurors. Nope--no one has ever, ever found anything racist about Lincoln. If you want to get something other than starry-eyed worship of the tyrant Lincoln, google "Tom DiLorenzo."
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
NewsBusted! President Obama, ISIS, 9/11, August Jobs Report, NBC News, Syrian Rebels, South Dakota Snow
- Thousands of American troops headed to Africa to fight… Ebola? Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- WaPo editors: Say, this ISIS intervention looks a wee bit “underpowered,” no? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- ObamaCare subsidies funding abortion coverage: GAO Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Super: NASA’s asteroid avoidance program is on par with the rest of the federal government Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Adrian Peterson: “I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser.” Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago