This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Doris Kearns-Goodwin, an admitted plagiarist, was Spielberg's leftist adviser on this movie. She has written that no researcher ever, ever found a racist pronouncement in any of Lincoln's speeches. Never mind that he openly supported a movement to ship all blacks back to Africa or--if that proved impractical--to islands in the Caribbean. Never mind that he openly called for the white race to always hold the "superior position." Never mind that he advocated against allowing blacks to hold political office, or to serve as jurors. Nope--no one has ever, ever found anything racist about Lincoln. If you want to get something other than starry-eyed worship of the tyrant Lincoln, google "Tom DiLorenzo."
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- European countries to US: Give us your gas Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Venezuelan protesters digging in for the long haul Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Finally: Young liberals ready to explain the news to America Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- White House on Democrats’ global-warming talkathon: We salute you Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- Poll: 55% of Americans under age 35 oppose sanctions on Russia Allahpundit 5 hours ago