Money is not the same thing as wealth. "Wealth" consists of goods and services. "Money" is simply the generally-accepted medium of exchange. Governments long ago discovered, however, that they could grant themselves a monopoly on money, aided by court historians and court economists. Though they cannot create wealth, politicians and central bankers CAN create boom and bust cycles, taking credit for the boom, and blaming the bust on a host of politically-convenient targets. The indispensable part of this manipulation is central banking. Our economy today is in the hands of greedy government officials and equally greedy central bankers. They rely on the fact that not one in ten Americans understands the nature of the system.
- Pelosi’s office retreats on Hobby Lobby “ban” claim Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Solar panel company pocketing govt subsidy cash intended for homeowners Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Look how the Export-Import Bank is using your tax money Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 16 hours ago
- Video: How does the president’s tone help solve the problem? Mary Katharine Ham 17 hours ago
- Obama’s law professor: There’s a “very high risk” that a federal court is going to gut ObamaCare Allahpundit 18 hours ago