Money is not the same thing as wealth. "Wealth" consists of goods and services. "Money" is simply the generally-accepted medium of exchange. Governments long ago discovered, however, that they could grant themselves a monopoly on money, aided by court historians and court economists. Though they cannot create wealth, politicians and central bankers CAN create boom and bust cycles, taking credit for the boom, and blaming the bust on a host of politically-convenient targets. The indispensable part of this manipulation is central banking. Our economy today is in the hands of greedy government officials and equally greedy central bankers. They rely on the fact that not one in ten Americans understands the nature of the system.
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Autopsy shows Michael Brown shot twice at close range Ed Morrissey 37 mins ago
- Christie “tired of hearing about the minimum wage.” Mistake? Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Dems: We’re keeping Pelosi even if we lose Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Shaheen approves of Obama except when she doesn’t Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Kochs’ next dastardly deed: Creating good public defenders for low-income accused Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago