Money is not the same thing as wealth. "Wealth" consists of goods and services. "Money" is simply the generally-accepted medium of exchange. Governments long ago discovered, however, that they could grant themselves a monopoly on money, aided by court historians and court economists. Though they cannot create wealth, politicians and central bankers CAN create boom and bust cycles, taking credit for the boom, and blaming the bust on a host of politically-convenient targets. The indispensable part of this manipulation is central banking. Our economy today is in the hands of greedy government officials and equally greedy central bankers. They rely on the fact that not one in ten Americans understands the nature of the system.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 4 hours ago