Democrats control California's Legislature, and its governor, Jerry Brown, is a Democrat. California is home to some of America's richest people and...
I love Walter Williams, but this article makes it clear he is an economist and not a constitutional scholar. Williams wrote: " They can simply stop wealthy people from leaving the state or,...set limits on the amount of assets a resident can take out of the state. This would surely be within their jurisdiction and would not raise any constitutional issues, because it would serve a compelling state purpose. ...such action would be protected by the 10th Amendment." The Supreme Court as far back as the 1860s has recognized a fundamental right to travel under the privileges and immunities clause. See, e.g. Paul v. Virginia, 75 U.S. 168 (1869). States cannot substantially impair one's right to ingress or egress from states.
California was once the land of opportunity, but it is going down the tubes. Several of California's prominent cities have declared bankruptcy, such as Vallejo, Stockton, Mammoth Lakes and San Bernardino. Others are on the precipice, and that includes Los Angeles, California's largest city. California's 2012 budget deficit is expected to top $28 billion, and its state debt is $618 billion. That's more than twice the size of New York's state debt, which itself is the second-highest in the nation.
- I guess we need to talk about Joe Biden skinny dipping, huh? Allahpundit 31 mins ago
- Obama: This congressional deadlock on immigration means “I’m going to have to act alone” Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- TEMS Friday: Guest hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Obama overrules Senate, declares CIA’s Bush-era tactics ‘torture’ Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Another liberal attempt to force you to share in their humorless misery fails Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- IG finds dozens of federal workers watched TV and did laundry on the clock — and got bonuses Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago