Noah: Hollywood vandalizes the Bible

Pat2881 Wrote: Mar 31, 2014 8:42 AM
Neo, your argument might hold water if the director had not stated publicly that he was doing his take on the Genesis story of Noah. Even the commercials for this film state that it is based on the story of Noah in Genesis. If that is the case, then, yes, the comparisons to icons of the civil rights movement is an apt one. Your argument that many other cultures have a great flood story becomes a specious one.

Obama Kills College Sports

Pat2881 Wrote: Mar 28, 2014 12:21 AM
I doubt they thought of the tax implications. All these guys are seeing are the dollar signs they think they will get from the athletes' perspective and the dues they will get from the union's perspective. Once they have to start paying taxes on their "wages," the athletes should change their tune. Unfortunately, by that time the damage will have been done. Technically, if their scholarship is ruled to be wages, the IRS will not be far behind in extracting taxes.

Obama Kills College Sports

Pat2881 Wrote: Mar 28, 2014 12:14 AM
Some colleges don't expect much from their student athletes while others do. Some schools expect their athletes to meet academic requirements for admission to the university in the same way they expect everyone else to meet them. My husband completed his Ph.D. at Georgia Tech and was a T.A. in some classes where he taught members of Georgia Tech's football team. His experience was that the football players had to perform in their classes just like everyone else on campus. It's a very competitive school.

God and Caesar (Again)

Pat2881 Wrote: Mar 27, 2014 11:40 PM
Speak for yourself, Steve. I am 65 and want no part of Medicare. Unfortunately, the government does not give me a choice. If I do not sign up for Medicare when I become eligible, I am fined with higher premiums on Part B when I do sign up for it. I have insurance through my husband's job, but they sent me a letter telling me they would not cover any medical costs that would have been covered by Medicare. I am stuck with Medicare whether I want it or not. I am all for a safety net for those who truly cannot afford medical insurance, but I hate the fact that I am caught in this program when I am quite capable of taking care of myself. I do not want to be a burden on anyone and plan to work as long as I am able. My husband does, too. Any government involvement in anything just leads to brittle, top down mismanagement by a bunch of people who have no idea what they are doing.
rightmostofthetime, I consider AGW to be the phlogiston of the 20th/21st centuries. Phlogiston was once considered settled science until someone discovered oxygen and oxidation.
rightmostofthetime, I agree. The problem with computer models is that you need to have a good understanding of the system you want to model if you are to write a computer program than can accurately model that system. It is my understanding that our understanding of the climate system is still somewhat fuzzy in some areas such that an accurate model is still iffy. Since we don't have a clear understanding of the entire system, it follows that we cannot model that system. As a result, the computer programs cannot accurately model the system. Ergo, garbage in, garbage out. The biggest problem I have with the proponents of AGW is simply the way that they insist that they are right based on consensus rather than the strength of their evidence. True science has never worked that way. Methinks they do protest too much. Of course, I just hold a lowly BS in Computer Science so they will just shout me down as not being a climate scientist.

The Angels Cried for Caroline

Pat2881 Wrote: Feb 15, 2014 12:02 AM
ca7, it is not necessary for you to either understand or agree with this woman's decision. Over the years, I have heard many stories of women who chose to bear a child knowing that to do so would put their lives as risk. Some of these women are women of faith and others are not. Some have been aware of their condition before becoming pregnant and others have not. Some have delayed chemotherapy for cancer because it would put the child at risk. Others have various disorders that would put the mother's life at risk. Many of them have ultimately lost their lives in order to give life to their child. It is not for us to judge their choice. I do applaud their courage in making such a decision knowing that they are choosing to place their life at risk to give life to their child.

The Angels Cried for Caroline

Pat2881 Wrote: Feb 14, 2014 11:56 PM
Besides being off topic, the comment is simply offensive. Most people, including conservatives, do not support the idea that someone can shoot another person for throwing popcorn at them. Personally, I hope this guy spends a very long time in jail if the evidence supports such a conviction. His fate is ultimately up to the jury that hears the case.
RiffRaff, who is to say that Obama wouldn't decide to implement the law early simply because he likes it? He's already using executive orders to get things done when Congress doesn't give him what he wants. What is to keep him from doing an early enforcement of immigration?
McGovern, given the state of our economy and job outlook, I think they are just going home because they can't find work. In Obamaspeak, this counts as deporting illegals.