As Boorstin explained, the pseudo-event was orchestrated and planned to receive maximum public attention, even if the event itself was really unimportant. Pseudo-events merely look important, because the media and the public agree to act as if they are. As Boorstin explained, the pseudo-event is not something that happens by...
This is bogus. We won't "default on our debt". We will be unable to pay some of our obligations, but by law we have to pay our debt first. Debt does not equal obligations. Our Debt service is much lower than our obligations. Payment of debt service is mandatory, and we have enough income to do that. Payment of obligations is important but not required by law or Constitution. It is about time that the full meaning of all our bad decisions concerning spending come home to roost.
Watching the American scene in the 1960s, historian Daniel Boorstin, invented the idea of the “pseudo-event.” The rise of television and modern mass media had produced a transformation of the news business, so that what now mattered was not if an event was important, but only if it was “newsworthy.”
- Video: Don Lemon claims “most people” can buy automatic weapons in America Ed Morrissey 22 mins ago
- Video: The shooting of Kajieme Powell Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Perry grand juror also a Texas Democratic Party delegate? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Sen. Bernie Sanders confronted by constituents: ‘F*** Israel!’ Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Obama not grasping the seriousness of the Foley murder, says … Chris Matthews? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Decision to release details of failed raid to free James Foley backfires on White House Noah Rothman 3 hours ago