THIS QUOTE is from the book 'One Bullet Away', by Nathaniel Fick. Fick was deployed to Bagran Air Base within weeks of 9-11. As any good Marine Lt. will do, once 'his' Marines were deployed at the airfield perimeter, Lt.. Fick made the rounds...checking on 'his' Marines. At one fighting hole he expected to see 2 heads; an assault rocket team. There were three heads! The third was Gen. Mattis, Fick heard this interchange. Gen.Mattis: "You young Marines need anything?" "Well, sir" said one, "We haven't been north yet to kill anything." Gen Mattis replied. "Don't worry, young men, you will. The first time these b*stards run into a Marine combat unit, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable fvcking lives!"
WASHINGTON -- On the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the commanding general of the 1st Marine Division distributed a one-page "Message to All Hands." It was a succinct warning to those going into battle about what to expect from the enemy and his expectations for them. His instructions and encouragement on deportment, skill, courage and compassion harkened back to Shakespeare's rendition of Henry V on St. Crispin's Day and Eisenhower's guidance to his troops going ashore at Normandy. The close, an admonition paraphrasing Roman General Lucius Sulla: "Demonstrate to the world there is 'No better friend, no worse enemy' than a...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Feds put kibosh on self-driving cars, plane sharing Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- It’s come to this: The War on Bacon is real Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- America in crisis: Should airline passengers be allowed to use “Knee Defender” to stop seats from reclining? Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Mitt Romney: Sure, there’s a chance I’ll run again Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Rubio sends letter to Obama: This executive amnesty will destroy immigration reform for the foreseeable future Allahpundit 9 hours ago