THIS QUOTE is from the book 'One Bullet Away', by Nathaniel Fick. Fick was deployed to Bagran Air Base within weeks of 9-11. As any good Marine Lt. will do, once 'his' Marines were deployed at the airfield perimeter, Lt.. Fick made the rounds...checking on 'his' Marines. At one fighting hole he expected to see 2 heads; an assault rocket team. There were three heads! The third was Gen. Mattis, Fick heard this interchange. Gen.Mattis: "You young Marines need anything?" "Well, sir" said one, "We haven't been north yet to kill anything." Gen Mattis replied. "Don't worry, young men, you will. The first time these b*stards run into a Marine combat unit, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable fvcking lives!"
WASHINGTON -- On the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the commanding general of the 1st Marine Division distributed a one-page "Message to All Hands." It was a succinct warning to those going into battle about what to expect from the enemy and his expectations for them. His instructions and encouragement on deportment, skill, courage and compassion harkened back to Shakespeare's rendition of Henry V on St. Crispin's Day and Eisenhower's guidance to his troops going ashore at Normandy. The close, an admonition paraphrasing Roman General Lucius Sulla: "Demonstrate to the world there is 'No better friend, no worse enemy' than a...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- EPA exonerates Christie administration in obscure bridge-related offense someone made up Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- California energy companies are getting the heck outta’ dodge and moving to Texas Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- CNN poll: 58% oppose abortion in most or all cases Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Video: Rand Paul’s very libertarian speech at CPAC Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- RNC Chairman talks tactics, the GOP’s technological gap, and how the March for Life “was a little bit of a wake-up call” Dustin Siggins 6 hours ago