This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Re: Derfel, -- In plain words Lincoln was a scoundrel at the very least. -- And, at worst, a petty tyrant that provoked the death of as much as 800,000 Americans.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- The dream is alive: Huckabee thinking of running in 2016 Allahpundit 16 minutes ago
- Chinese naval vessel tries to stop US Navy vessel in the South China Sea Steve Eggleston 1 hour ago
- Poll: Majority recognize common sense, realize Keystone XL is a fake controversy Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Obama administration considering support for Islamists in Syria? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Boeing machinists reject “best and final” labor deal for 777X Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Totes Obvs. Michigan teachers union demands $10K severance pay for child molester teacher Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago