I say we're best off if government just leaves us alone to our peaceful cooperation with whomever we please. Let politicians advocate moral behavior. Let them give to charities. But leave government -- which is physical force -- out of it....
Re: The_Nerd_Warrior, -- Many libertarians do not understand that leaving people alone does NOT mean they will leave you alone. -- Which explains why your neighbors label you "that crazy nut" and "the peeping tom." I mean, really. This is just absurd. The belief that they will not leave you alone if you let them be is quintessential paranoia. Neocon and interventionists do not really believe this precisely because it is nuts. They simply believe in war and intervention because that is how they grow the state. Their brethren on the Left believe in the Welfare state - socialism - whereas Neocons believe in war - fascism - as the road to bigger government.
All political candidates call themselves freedom-lovers, but they are not. Neither major party really opposes government control of the economy or of our personal lives. I'm a libertarian because I see the false choice offered by political left and right: Democrats talk about personal liberty; Republicans talk about economic freedom. But what they do once in power belies their words.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 8 hours ago