Mitch McConnell, the Senate Republican leader, says he “burst into laughter” Thursday when Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner outlined the administration proposal for averting the fiscal cliff. He wasn’t trying to embarrass Geithner, McConnell says, only responding candidly to his one-sided plan, explicit on tax increases, vague on spending cuts.
Geithner’s visit to his office left McConnell discouraged about reaching a “balanced” deal on tax hikes and spending reductions designed to prevent...
Let's see how "sincere" the Dems are (haha). Take tax rates back to 2000 levels, including FICA, cut all budgets (except SS and Medicare) to 2007 levels. And when the Ds reject that (which is 99% sure), tell them (with a press conference, the ball is in their court. Their current plan of $80-100B yearly tax increase and future (haha) $1B spending cuts doesn't make the grade. Tie any debt ceiling increase talks to the above.
- White House knew ISIS planned to kill James Foley Noah Rothman 22 mins ago
- Report: Qatar scuttled Gaza cease-fire for not having seat at Cairo table Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- White House now leaning on Eric Holder to play the role of racial healer? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- WaPo: Was Foley’s killer a former Gitmo detainee? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Everything has changed after the execution of James Foley by ISIS Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago