The financial crisis is over and the recession ended in 2009. But one of the federal government's biggest social welfare programs, which expanded when the economy convulsed, isn't shrinking back alongside the recovery.
Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as the modern-day food-stamp benefit is known, has soared 70% since 2008 to a record 47.8 million as of December 2012. Congressional budget...
In response to:
I would take red meat off the list of approved, too easy to trade steaks for alcohol, drugs, etc. Fish, Chicken, Turkey only! I would add dairy to your list.
- Ukraine: Another 3 AM wake-up call going unheeded Ed Morrissey 3 minutes ago
- Welfare reform is officially on life support in NYC Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Why won’t the White House explain how off-budget ObamaCare money got spent? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Are bans on high capacity magazines constitutional? Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 16 hours ago
- EPA exonerates Christie administration in obscure bridge-related offense someone made up Mary Katharine Ham 16 hours ago