The financial crisis is over and the recession ended in 2009. But one of the federal government's biggest social welfare programs, which expanded when the economy convulsed, isn't shrinking back alongside the recovery.
Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as the modern-day food-stamp benefit is known, has soared 70% since 2008 to a record 47.8 million as of December 2012. Congressional budget...
In response to:
I would take red meat off the list of approved, too easy to trade steaks for alcohol, drugs, etc. Fish, Chicken, Turkey only! I would add dairy to your list.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 11 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 13 hours ago