The financial crisis is over and the recession ended in 2009. But one of the federal government's biggest social welfare programs, which expanded when the economy convulsed, isn't shrinking back alongside the recovery.
Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as the modern-day food-stamp benefit is known, has soared 70% since 2008 to a record 47.8 million as of December 2012. Congressional budget...
In response to:
I would take red meat off the list of approved, too easy to trade steaks for alcohol, drugs, etc. Fish, Chicken, Turkey only! I would add dairy to your list.
- Video: A huge executive amnesty for illegals would be a big mistake, says … Ed Schultz? Allahpundit 27 minutes ago
- Grimes: Iron Dome really helps defend against the tunnels, or something Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Is the world giving up on a two-state solution? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Are the culture wars really just about sex? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- “A**holes”: Turns out Lois Lerner’s not a fan of conservative talk radio or its listeners Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- AP poll: 52% say border kids fleeing gang violence shouldn’t be treated as refugees Allahpundit 3 hours ago