"How could someone conclude logically that a rape victim’s body has the capacity to prevent conception in the wake of sexual assault?" Anyone who has read the medical literature could logically make this assertion. While it is not, repeat, NOT impossible for a rape victim to become pregnant from the rape, it is a fact that when a human is threatened or frightened, such as in a rape, adrenalin and cortisol is released into the bloodstream in the fight or flight reacation. It is a fact that cortisol can cause temorary sterility or cause spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) in a female.
Todd Akin’s grossly irresponsible remarks about “legitimate rape” and conception have received much media attention. As well they should. The sheer weirdness of the remarks calls into question both his intelligence and his personal integrity. How could someone conclude logically that a rape victim’s body has the capacity to prevent conception in the wake of sexual assault? And why would someone assert that the conclusion had been supported by doctors with whom he had spoken? Clearly, Akin contrived the idea on the spot and then contrived the claim that there were doctors who had informed and/or supported his assertion. All of...
- US hits Khorasan group in air strikes on Syria Ed Morrissey 31 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria; Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 12 hours ago