"How could someone conclude logically that a rape victim’s body has the capacity to prevent conception in the wake of sexual assault?" Anyone who has read the medical literature could logically make this assertion. While it is not, repeat, NOT impossible for a rape victim to become pregnant from the rape, it is a fact that when a human is threatened or frightened, such as in a rape, adrenalin and cortisol is released into the bloodstream in the fight or flight reacation. It is a fact that cortisol can cause temorary sterility or cause spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) in a female.
Todd Akin’s grossly irresponsible remarks about “legitimate rape” and conception have received much media attention. As well they should. The sheer weirdness of the remarks calls into question both his intelligence and his personal integrity. How could someone conclude logically that a rape victim’s body has the capacity to prevent conception in the wake of sexual assault? And why would someone assert that the conclusion had been supported by doctors with whom he had spoken? Clearly, Akin contrived the idea on the spot and then contrived the claim that there were doctors who had informed and/or supported his assertion. All of...
- Quotes of the Day Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Would-be victim delivering pizza thwarts would-be robbery with her concealed weapon Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- The EPA is charging $75,000/day over a private citizen’s pond, but don’t you worry about their revisions to the Clean Water Act Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- Christie jacking up tax on e-cigarettes Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Interview with Al Baldasaro Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- How many people have died from GM ignition-switch defect? Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago