The criticisms of the recent absurd comments by Missouri Republican Congressman Todd Akin, who at this writing is his party's nominee to take on incumbent Missouri Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill in November in a contest he had been expected to win, have focused on his clearly erroneous understanding of the human female anatomy. In a now infamous statement, in which he used the bizarre and unheard-of phrase "legitimate rape," the congressman gave the impression that some rapes of women are not mentally or seriously resisted. This is an antediluvian and misogynistic myth for which there is no basis in fact and...
Akin did not say that women cannot get pregnant from rape. What he said (paraphrased) is that in many cases (not all), the woman's body will either prevent conception from taking place, or a miscarriage will take place. That is a fact. When a person is threatened, adrenalin is produced for the fight or flight syndrome. Cortisol is also released into the bloodstream. Cortisol is the agent that will prevent conception, or cause miscarriage. Read the medical literature. He did use an unfortunate phrase when he said "legitimate rape". I believe what he meant was actual forcible rape, not "OMG! I've been screwing a guy my parents don't like, now I'm pregnant. I was raped" rape, i..e. abortion to avoid responsibility for actions.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 18 mins ago
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 4 hours ago