The criticisms of the recent absurd comments by Missouri Republican Congressman Todd Akin, who at this writing is his party's nominee to take on incumbent Missouri Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill in November in a contest he had been expected to win, have focused on his clearly erroneous understanding of the human female anatomy. In a now infamous statement, in which he used the bizarre and unheard-of phrase "legitimate rape," the congressman gave the impression that some rapes of women are not mentally or seriously resisted. This is an antediluvian and misogynistic myth for which there is no basis in fact and...
Akin did not say that women cannot get pregnant from rape. What he said (paraphrased) is that in many cases (not all), the woman's body will either prevent conception from taking place, or a miscarriage will take place. That is a fact. When a person is threatened, adrenalin is produced for the fight or flight syndrome. Cortisol is also released into the bloodstream. Cortisol is the agent that will prevent conception, or cause miscarriage. Read the medical literature. He did use an unfortunate phrase when he said "legitimate rape". I believe what he meant was actual forcible rape, not "OMG! I've been screwing a guy my parents don't like, now I'm pregnant. I was raped" rape, i..e. abortion to avoid responsibility for actions.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Again: Exactly which elite, liberal institution does have to live up to the Left’s values? Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Detroit suspends water shut-offs for 15 days Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Through the looking glass: White House that loves using anonymous sources upset at being attacked by anonymous sources Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: The angriest atheist Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Police protect Jewish students from Pro-Palestinian mob…in Boston Guy Benson 12 hours ago