At the White House once I was regaling him with local news from Champaign (which he was always ready to hear), and I said, 'Blank is dead; his extremely disloyal sentiments so provoked his neighbors that there was serious talk of inflicting vengeance on him, and he was found dead in bed—caused largely by fright.' This man was an old Whig friend of Lincoln, but the reason of his exit from life's trials amused him. His comment was, 'He died, then, to save his life, it seems.'"- Lincoln's Own Stories, Anthony Gross, HARPER & BROTHERS PUBLISHERS NEW YORK AND LONDON, 1912...
In response to:
Democrats view excess spending like a chocolate dessert, as a way to reward themselves for finishing a hard job. Republicans view excess spending like a diet, as a harsh discipline imposed on them by cruel leaders.
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Daniele Watts won’t apologize, but how about the media? Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago