There's a dastardly conspiracy afoot to shut down the United States Postal Service, Lefty screamer Ed Schultz has informed his MSNBC audience. The culprits? Republicans, match. The USPS recently announced its decision to end Saturday mail service, an attempt to stanch its years-long budget bleeding; the federal entity lost $16 billion in 2012. Though this move is only projected to save the Post Office roughly $2 billion annually, it's still an important nod to reality. I discussed this issue on CNBC last night, where even the liberal panelist seemed to agree that major reductions are in order and...
But that is irrelevant . The fact is it that the postal power is authorized (like the military is). And thus appropiations are legal. These things are by their very nature are NOT "economical ". Which is not to say that they should not be run economically. These essential and authorized powers were understood by the founders to be inherently unprofitable. And as such it was understood that they would have to be funded by the power to tax/tariff.
- Obama: I don’t watch the news because I usually already know the stuff they’re reporting Allahpundit 18 minutes ago
- Perdue grabs surprise runoff victory over Kingston in Georgia Ed Morrissey 58 minutes ago
- Putin signals total disregard for the West as rebels take down two more Ukrainian planes Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- US intel: MH17 missile an SA-11 fired from eastern Ukraine Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- White House giving up fight over Obamacare’s contraception mandate? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Kerry arrives in Israel for cease-fire talks Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago