There's a dastardly conspiracy afoot to shut down the United States Postal Service, Lefty screamer Ed Schultz has informed his MSNBC audience. The culprits? Republicans, match. The USPS recently announced its decision to end Saturday mail service, an attempt to stanch its years-long budget bleeding; the federal entity lost $16 billion in 2012. Though this move is only projected to save the Post Office roughly $2 billion annually, it's still an important nod to reality. I discussed this issue on CNBC last night, where even the liberal panelist seemed to agree that major reductions are in order and...
But that is irrelevant . The fact is it that the postal power is authorized (like the military is). And thus appropiations are legal. These things are by their very nature are NOT "economical ". Which is not to say that they should not be run economically. These essential and authorized powers were understood by the founders to be inherently unprofitable. And as such it was understood that they would have to be funded by the power to tax/tariff.
- Rand Paul working to get David Jolly over the finish line in FL-13 special Jazz Shaw 54 minutes ago
- CPAC: Daniel Hannan and the origins of liberty Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Quote of the day Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Big Labor: ObamaCare is making income inequality worse, you know Erika Johnsen 16 hours ago
- Reading 2.0: There’s an app for that Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago