There's a dastardly conspiracy afoot to shut down the United States Postal Service, Lefty screamer Ed Schultz has informed his MSNBC audience. The culprits? Republicans, match. The USPS recently announced its decision to end Saturday mail service, an attempt to stanch its years-long budget bleeding; the federal entity lost $16 billion in 2012. Though this move is only projected to save the Post Office roughly $2 billion annually, it's still an important nod to reality. I discussed this issue on CNBC last night, where even the liberal panelist seemed to agree that major reductions are in order and...
But that is irrelevant . The fact is it that the postal power is authorized (like the military is). And thus appropiations are legal. These things are by their very nature are NOT "economical ". Which is not to say that they should not be run economically. These essential and authorized powers were understood by the founders to be inherently unprofitable. And as such it was understood that they would have to be funded by the power to tax/tariff.
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 52 mins ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Resurrected monster General Motors is still killing people Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Video: This is the man a malaise-stricken America needs right now Allahpundit 3 hours ago