There's a dastardly conspiracy afoot to shut down the United States Postal Service, Lefty screamer Ed Schultz has informed his MSNBC audience. The culprits? Republicans, match. The USPS recently announced its decision to end Saturday mail service, an attempt to stanch its years-long budget bleeding; the federal entity lost $16 billion in 2012. Though this move is only projected to save the Post Office roughly $2 billion annually, it's still an important nod to reality. I discussed this issue on CNBC last night, where even the liberal panelist seemed to agree that major reductions are in order and...
But that is irrelevant . The fact is it that the postal power is authorized (like the military is). And thus appropiations are legal. These things are by their very nature are NOT "economical ". Which is not to say that they should not be run economically. These essential and authorized powers were understood by the founders to be inherently unprofitable. And as such it was understood that they would have to be funded by the power to tax/tariff.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Will 2014 be the year that Jews support the GOP? Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- Flashpoint Hong Kong: China rules out democracy for the former British territory Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Your tax dollars at work: PBS to air pro-abortion “After Tiller” movie tomorrow Dustin Siggins 13 hours ago
- NFL Regular Season open thread Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago
- Et tu, Di Fi? Feinstein sours on Obama’s ‘too cautious’ approach to ISIS Noah Rothman 16 hours ago