Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner made news last week by proposing to transfer the Congressional prerogative to raise the debt ceiling to the President. The change would essentially do away with the meaningless debt ceiling debates that have become ritual kabuki in Washington over the past few generations. Most Republicans have dismissed the proposal as a blatant executive power grab that will significantly weaken both the Congress and the minority party. While this is certainly true, Congress will only lose a power that it has never shown the slightest courage to actually use. But in truth, the proposal has the merit of...
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 17 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 17 hours ago