Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner made news last week by proposing to transfer the Congressional prerogative to raise the debt ceiling to the President. The change would essentially do away with the meaningless debt ceiling debates that have become ritual kabuki in Washington over the past few generations. Most Republicans have dismissed the proposal as a blatant executive power grab that will significantly weaken both the Congress and the minority party. While this is certainly true, Congress will only lose a power that it has never shown the slightest courage to actually use. But in truth, the proposal has the merit of...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Media Matters not super-keen on SEIU unionizing its employees Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Video: How removing one regulation created hundreds of jobs in Mississippi Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- The EPA confirms: GHG emissions are down, largely thanks to… Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago
- CBO: Uhm, about Obama’s FY2015 budget proposal… it’s way more expensive than the White House claimed Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- Jay Carney: The toughest interview Obama had in 2012 was with … Jon Stewart Allahpundit 9 hours ago