How can the "market" stop people who are seeking to live a better life, from entering this country illegally? If I were an alien who believes I have a shot at living a better life here in the United States, than staying put, I would seriously think about coming to this country illegally, if necessary. As long as people cannot achieve their goal of living a better life where they are, we will ALWAYS have people who will want to enter this country illegally. Nothing government does, will stop them.
"Enforcement first" has become the mantra of conservatives opposed to comprehensive immigration. However, what opponents refuse to recognize is that illegal immigration is under better control today than at any point in the last half century. Last year, net immigration from Mexico was zero -- as many immigrants (legal and illegal) left the United States as came here. The flow of illegal immigrants has plummeted in the last few years -- down to the lowest level since the 1970s. What's more, the Obama administration has deported more illegal immigrants than any previous administration since the Great Depression - including 450,000 last...
- Hawaii Democrat backs travel ban, denounces politicization of the issue Noah Rothman 36 mins ago
- Subtle: Pro-Kay Hagan fliers warns GOP victory with lynching images Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Age of Enlightenment: NY university offering training for couples on how to break up Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Michele Bachmann must be doing something right if ISIS is after her Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- The worst political ad ever? Or the most awesome? Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago