Are the "people" more likely or less likely to help each other if they knew the government was not going to help those in need?
On Nov. 29, 1766, Benjamin Franklin wrote for the London Chronicle: "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. -- I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 5 hours ago