All: I'd be slow to throw all teachers into the "bad apple" basket. As with all groups, they occupy a spectrum. In one corner are those who truly are committed to weaponizing education in order to indoctrinate the next generations of youth. In another corner are those who truly are committed to producing responsible, thinking adults. There are other corners for the lazy and the incompetent. My experience is that many teachers really want to do well, but are not supported by their administrators, and have to drag around an enormous body of nonsense rules from their school boards and unions. Also, education is one place where corruption in local government is usually more rife (along with public works) cuz that's where the $$$ is.
American education is in a sorry state of affairs, and there's enough blame for all participants to have their fair share. They include students who are hostile and alien to the education process, uninterested parents, teachers and administrators who either are incompetent or have been beaten down by the system, and politicians who've become handmaidens for teachers unions. There's another education issue that's neither flattering nor comfortable to confront and talk about. That's the low academic preparation of many teachers. That's an issue that must be confronted and dealt with if we're to improve the quality of education. Let's look at...
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014