Kofi Annan is our own era's Joe Btfsplk, the Al Capp character who brings disaster to all around him while he himself goes blithely on without a scratch. Much like The...
(US, Canada, Australia, GB, New Zealand, etc.) came together and very effectively stopped the communist takeover of a free people, and in the process earned the everlasting gratitude of the South Korean people. The next major UN intervention was during the Suez Crisis, when the Canadian Ambassador (Lester Pearson, who became Prime Minister later) to the UN, came up with the plan for a peace-keeping force, which would intervene in times of crisis. I still do not know what happened after that point, but I think it was when we allowed all the third-world countries in, with their half-baked democracies, that the UN ceased to be a force for good, and became the dithering, busy-body agency that it is today.
Any hope for peace and light in Syria was doomed from the start as long as a remnant of Bashar al-Assad's murderous regime was allowed to stick around. Now its death throes have become the Syrian people's. But the appointment of Kofi Annan to negotiate a peace there double-doomed that empty hope. For wherever the man goes, massacres are sure to follow. Also corruption, injustice and general chaos.
- Let the primaries begin: Rand Paul, Ted Cruz battle over foreign policy Allahpundit 14 minutes ago
- True Detective finale: greatest miniseries end ever? Ed Morrissey 54 minutes ago
- CPAC: Winners, losers, or just a debate? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Senate Democrats plan all-night global-warming talkathon in support of … er … Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Mystery of Flight 370 deepens Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Gates: Crimea is gone Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago