The past year has not been kind to the most potent symbols of climate change hysteria. Consider the polar bears. Among the most moving images of the warmists' warnings was the solitary polar bear, supposedly marooned on an ice floe. The image became iconic after it was published in Science Magazine....
Ms. Charen blasts off on bears, passes penguins, gallops over glaciers and returns home to tell us that “the climate is warming...”. Why she then tells us that “... it hasn’t warmed much, if at all, in the past decade” is a mystery to Nobody Important. While she doesn't cite her source on that parting assertion (as she did – good for her – on most of her previous assertions), she's right (I will cite my source momentarily). However, a full decade of non-warming fits most climatologic definitions of a break in pattern (the recent global atmospheric thermal stasis has actually been longer than ten years by most measurements, at least those that have not been recently and fraudulently adjusted [source on that assertion also to follow]...
In a better world, debates about science -- and nearly everything else -- would be conducted without resort to demagoguery, sentimentality, cynical manipulation, or hysteria. In the world we inhabit, those tactics are dismayingly routine. Still, the great weakness of overwrought predictions of doom is that they can be checked.
- Obama’s new power grab: A climate change treaty without Senate ratification Allahpundit 30 mins ago
- Two legal guests tell CNN their Brown shooting audio might be a hoax Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- What’s the matter with Kansas? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Trouble in Paradise: NY Times won’t endorse Andrew Cuomo’s reelection bid Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Media curiously silent on “Truthy” Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- TEMS Wednesday: Hot Air at the Fair! Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago