The 1986 amnesty required the payment of fines and had a few hoops that they had to jump through -- and everyone called it an amnesty including its supporters. The supporters no longer call it an amnesty because to do so would associate it with the failure of 1986. When the fines and inconviences are so small in comparison to the reward,and benefits then it is an amnesty.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 6 hours ago