In response to:
Improve e-verify, but the real key to stopping illegal immigration and forcing those already here to go home is through workplace enforcement -- primarily raids, fines, and jail for the employers and the illegals. And it doesn't require this enforcement on a massive scale. Compliance can be gained in the same way that the IRS gains compliance from most taxpayers -- the threat of these punishments. In the same way that the IRS only audits a small percentage of taxpayers, ICE and other enforcement agencies can simply choose a small targeted and heavily publicized team of prosecutors and investigators to bring a a real threat of serious consequences which would force a much higher level of compliance for most employers. Remember when Bush finally started putting some heft behind the prosecution of illegals in the workplace after his amnesty bill died? Illegals actually started going home and would have continued if the policies hadn't been ended by Obama. When people fear the possiblity of losing everything, however remote that chance might actually be, they are much more likely to comply with the law.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Ebola: First case coming to America Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Wisconsin Supreme Court upholds Gov. Scott Walker’s signature Act 10 in its entirety Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Is Romney poised for a comeback? Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: Baffling gun-control ad from Mike Bloomberg’s group draws inevitable response Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Democratic Senator calls for CIA director’s resignation for spying on Congress Noah Rothman 11 hours ago