Sensing the wounds of betrayal beginning to fester among many within the conservative base -- his biggest fans and strongest advocates over the last three years -- Sen. Marco Rubio has personally penned a "Dear Friends" letter to try to assuage their concerns about both his intentions and the contents of the bill he helped craft. Rubio calls the immigration reform effort "a real trial" for him, expressing regret that many of his natural allies are furious with him for his role in the 'Gang of Eight.' The full letter is available HERE. A few excerpts, via NRO:
Nice try, but it won't work. Things are different this time. You lied to us about your position on this issue when you ran for the Senate. Which issue will it be next? Should your amnesty come to pass, you will have destroyed the Republican party. This issue at this time is the line in the sand. Even if I support you on every other issue, your support of amnesty will have made it impossible for those issues to win with the changed electorate that you have wrought with your amnesty. For that reason alone, I can never again support you.
- The GOP comes roaring back in Colorado Noah Rothman 30 mins ago
- WSJ: Obama will require military to get his personal approval for U.S. strikes in Syria Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Scotland goes to the polls on independence Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Chaffetz to DHS Secretary: Did you hear the one about the four suspected terrorists who tried to walk across the border? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- The left’s war on football Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Does the Left really reject Hillary? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago