Sensing the wounds of betrayal beginning to fester among many within the conservative base -- his biggest fans and strongest advocates over the last three years -- Sen. Marco Rubio has personally penned a "Dear Friends" letter to try to assuage their concerns about both his intentions and the contents of the bill he helped craft. Rubio calls the immigration reform effort "a real trial" for him, expressing regret that many of his natural allies are furious with him for his role in the 'Gang of Eight.' The full letter is available HERE. A few excerpts, via NRO:
Nice try, but it won't work. Things are different this time. You lied to us about your position on this issue when you ran for the Senate. Which issue will it be next? Should your amnesty come to pass, you will have destroyed the Republican party. This issue at this time is the line in the sand. Even if I support you on every other issue, your support of amnesty will have made it impossible for those issues to win with the changed electorate that you have wrought with your amnesty. For that reason alone, I can never again support you.
- Panetta memoir blames Obama for collapse in Iraq Ed Morrissey 34 mins ago
- 80 people being monitored in Dallas area for Ebola; Update: 100? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- White House: No plans to block flights from ebola countries Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Fox poll shows majority of likely voters support ground troops against ISIS Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Gray Lady reporter very confused as to why Republicans don’t want the President to be attacked Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago